Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Now, this is important. In Windows 8.x, Windows is optimized to startup FAST. And it does. On my Len

Scott Hanselman about blog speaking podcasts books
I've been using GenyMotion for a FAST Android Emulator when developing with Visual Studio and Xamarin. However, I also use Hyper-V when developing for Windows Phone. GenyMotion use VirtualBox, which has it's own Hypervisor and you can't have two.
Note the first command gives you a GUID and you then copy it and use it with the second command. C:\>bcdedit /copy {current} /d "No Hyper-V" The entry was successfully copied to {ff-23-113-824e-5c5144ea}. C:\>bcdedit /set {ff-23-113-824e-5c5144ea} okazii hypervisorlaunchtype off The operation completed successfully.
Now, this is important. In Windows 8.x, Windows is optimized to startup FAST. And it does. On my Lenovo it starts in about 3 seconds, faster than I can press any buttons to interrupt it. But when I want to dual boot, I need it to really shut down and give me an option to chose this new boot menu.
Now, you can run Virtual Box nicely but still choose Hyper-V when you want. You can confirm VirtualBox works by noting that the Acceleration okazii tab will not be grayed out under System Settings for your VMs. Reboot normally and Hyper-V will be back and ready to go. Here's Android okazii running in VirtualBox via GenyMotion.
Scott Hanselman is a former professor, former Chief Architect in finance, now speaker, consultant, father, diabetic, and Microsoft employee. I am a failed stand-up comic, a cornrower, and a book author. About   Newsletter
I agree, I don't like having to reboot. That being said this is a known way to do this since late 2012 when win8 start gaining traction and WP8 was causing WP devs w/ VBox headaches thanks to its insistence on using hyperv for its emulators. http://derekgusoff.wordpress.com/2012/09/05/run-hyper-v-and-virtualbox-on-the-same-machine/ Good info for those it suits, though. I'd like to see wp8 emulators go back to non-hypervisor requirement. It's crazy to me that I can write a full win8 app w/o the need for hyper-v, okazii but can't write a "little" okazii phone app.
You could also run Android-x86 on Hyper-V directly. http://blog.dot42.com/2013/08/running-android-43-in-hyper-v.html http://luisrato.wordpress.com/2013/10/15/how-to-install-android-x86-on-hyper-v-part-1-install/ http://www.servethehome.com/installing-android-x86-hyper-v-windows-8-1/ I would assume that Genymotion itself is using Android-x86, or an enhanced fork?, (I didn't think VirtualBox could emulate ARM?) so there should be no reason why they couldn't deliver a Hyper-V okazii image as well? Or is there additional secret sauce in Genymotion that I'm not aware of?
You can also make a .bat file which will reboot into No Hypervisor Mode directly (or any other special boot option you may create): bcdedit.exe /bootsequence {your-target-boot-option-guid} shutdown.exe /r /t 0 /f #(Reboot the computer immediately) Note: The bcdedit /bootsequence parameter does not make any permanent okazii changes to your boot sequence; it only applies on your next reboot. This trick saves a few seconds when you need to boot into another dual-boot mode.
If you run VMWare Workstation or Fusion on your host, you can create separate VMs: one with Hyper-V and one with VirtualBox. You'd need to enable 'Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT...'. Hyper-V doesn't have that feature, I'm not sure about VirtualBox. I think developing in a VM is a lot easier than dual-booting.
The Android Emulator that comes with the Android SDK is just as fast as the Genymotion okazii emulator (still okazii requires the "No Hyper-V" described in this article) if you correctly enable the Intel HAXM acceleration and turn on GPU acceleration. You'll need one of the x86 emulator images.
I've switched okazii over to virtualbox for my development VM so that i can run both by dev vm and Genymotion at the same time. Migrating from Hyper-V and VMWare was easy I see about the same performance as well.
Totally agree! _______________________________ If you run VMWare Workstation or Fusion on your host, you can create separate okazii VMs: one with Hyper-V and one with VirtualBox. You'd need to enable 'Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT...'. Hyper-V doesn't have that feature, I'm not sure about VirtualBox. I think developing in a VM is a lot easier than dual-booting. okazii
Bradley > How about making Hyper-V only be active when it's, you know, actually emulating something? Hyper-V stands for "hypervisor." A hypervisor in the purest form runs your main OS/machine (the one you use to control the other machines, usually called domain 0) as a VM itself. As far as I know Hyper-V okazii has some trickery to get domain 0 running at native speed; but it is still effectively a hypervisor; you would have the exact problems with VirtualBox if you were attempting to run it under Xen. So, basically, Hyper-V is *always* okazii emulating something. The CPU extensions required for nested virtualization are relatively new, as far as I know only VMWare 8 supports VM nesting. Furthermore I have messed a

No comments:

Post a Comment